An essential fall soup…
I can’t get enough butternut squash. I love it. It is so versatile and adapts in so many ways. A perfect soup for fall. Sweet, with natural flavors of a fall-like feel with squash and carrots, and spicy with turmeric and cayenne. The color is magnificent and the health benefits are superior!
Let’s get ‘er started!
The fresh squash trick…
I personally love to cut my own fresh butternut squash but it can be time-consuming. (You can buy it frozen and already cut.)
The trick with cutting a real squash is to soften it. I throw it in a microwave for 5 minutes, be careful it will be hot, and use a mitten. Then cut down the center vertically, and peel the sides with a good knife. Gut out the seeds and fibrous strands with a spoon. Then chop it into chunks. See details on another butternut squash recipe. I am so crazy about soup!
Cutting, slicing, chopping…all these things can be exhausting. In this recipe, you can’t get away with using a mandolin, you may be able to use a peeler though. Or, (use the marriage technique) ask Hubby to use his STRONG, MANLY-MAN-NESS, to cut, slice, chop, and blend hehe.
Get it warmed up…
Add the milk.
This is where the coconut milk will cool the butter. Browning the butter adds a sweet and nutty taste that is delicious.
Get it to bubble and thicken.
Have supplies ready.
Cause you and I both know, this butter will burn (not in a good way) while you look for where that kid last put the salt/sugar/whisk.
You can use whole milk, I just love the sweetness of coconut milk.
Blend it. Love it. Smell it.
I love my immersion blender, but if you don’t have one, any blender is good. I.e. food processor, or regular blender, just make sure it’s not hot. MUST COOL YOUR SOUP IF YOU BLEND. Really, that is why I like immersion blenders–no wait time for cooling, which equals fewer burns (it’s a win-win).
The best part,
Grab a crusty piece of sourdough, or a fresh baguette (mmmmmmnnn), and scoop, dip, and eat. Add toppings like cranberries, or yogurt, maybe some roasted cashews (hello!).
From my family to yours!
Farmer-Fran (crazy soup lady)
Sweet and Spicy Squash and Carrot Soup
- soup pot or cast iron pot
- immersion blender
- chef’s knife and cutting board
- 1 Large butternut squash fresh or prepackaged frozen bag; cut in cubes
- 5 Large carrots cut in cubes
- 1 Can coconut milk
- 5 Tbsp salted butter
- ¾ Tsp cayenne
- ¾ Tsp coriander
- 1 Tsp turmeric
- ⅓ Cup brown sugar
- 3 Cups Chicken broth
- Cut up butternut squash and carrots into similar sized cubes. Put in a bowl to the side.
- (Get ingredients ready before you burn the butter (note to self))
- Heat a large pot on medium heat with butter. Whisk the butter until brown. Do not leave the butter browning, it will burn. Once light-medium brown, add the coconut milk and whisk together well.
- Once milk and butter is combined, whisk in cayenne, coriander, tumeric, sugar. Bring to simmer.
- Add squash, carrots and broth. Continue at a simmer, cover pot with the lid, and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 20 minutes
- Once vegetables are soft, use your immersion blender to liquify.
- Serve warm, add cranberries, sour cream, or cashews. Serve over or with rice.