When Makena started making cookies they were always good. But this time she’s nailed it. True confession: these have become a staple in our house. We love to play with the recipe and make them into “fairy cookies” or “fairy poop”, but at the end of the day, they are perfect the way they are. This cookie has been the snack that makes us stop in this crazy world and say, “everything is fine. We have each other… well AND great chocolate chip cookies.”
This is a cookie that’s chewy on the center and slightly crusty on the outside. Plus, depending on how chewy or hard you like your cookie you can use this recipe and just increase the heat. Note: I would NEVER cook over 15 minutes.
Just like a cake, you’ll mix the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients in separate bowls. Then slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE THE SALT. YOU NEED SEA SALT ONLY. And don’t beat the batter to oblivion. Trust me. lol.
They may look a little white coming out of the oven, but that is ok. If you want it a little crispier, I would cook at 375 for 12-15 minutes. You may have to play with your time a bit depending on altitude and type of oven. I have a gas convection oven so I cook it at 350 and for 13 minutes.
Here is the most important part…THE SLAM
So lets say you have made the batch and you PULL THEM OUT OF THE OVEN. They are slightly puffy and white, so here’s what I want you to do…
GRAB YOUR PAN WITH AN OVEN MIT AND SLAM IT ON THE COUNTER. Once should be good enough, but twice is fine as well, once you SLAM it, it will immediately settle and have these BEAUTIFUL cracks.
These have been Grandma’s favorite as well. That says a lot. She likes to add walnuts. Great addition!
In fact, this is a great gift too. “Hey Kena! Want to make me some cookies?” I love these kids.
Makena’s Famous SLAM Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 mixing bowl
- stand mixer or hand mixer and an additional bowl
- small scooper
- 3 C Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1 C (white granulated) sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Stick salted butter (the best butter you have) softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips or a crushed Hershey's bar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Then, in your mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In another bowl or stand mixer, blend softened butter, brown sugar, regular sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- While blending the wet ingredients, slowly add the dry ingredients, adding a little at a time. When ingredients are fully incorporated, fold in chocolate chips.
- With a small scooper, make the same size ball of dough. Set at least 1 inch apart. Cook for 12-15 minutes. They will look white and undercooked initially. When you take your cookie sheet out of the oven with the oven mitt, slam them on the counter at least once. Watch them deflate. Slide the parchment paper onto a cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes. For a crispier edge, cook at 375 for 12 minutes and brown SLIGHTLY. Let rest for 5-10 minutes. Eat fresh and with a tall glass of milk.