In-Season Pears and Kale Salad
I walked the grocery store this morning in search of in-season selections. Not to much surprise, this lovely month of September finds the summer fruits starting to make our way out and the coziness of the fall coming in. We also finally have some breathable (ha! not a joke) weather now. It is beginning to be bearable outside. Yes, that means we can’t breathe during the summer, but really, it does mean we needed some relief from the heat. So I thought, what would be better than a comfy and cozy Kale Salad? Nothing. It was everything I needed.
This Salad I found to be sweet, cozy, and filling. Not gonna lie, sometimes a salad can be to “froo-froo” (that’s southern for fancy and dainty), and doesn’t check the hangry box. How does this salad change that? With bacon, of course! These Roasted Red Pears are sweet heaven in your mouth and pair that with bacon, goat cheese, and honey—then put on a kale salad. Done!!
Great (Kale) Salad to pair with any:
- Pork dish
- Grilled Chicken
- Simple Steak
- Charcuterie boards
- Stuff a baguette with this salad
- turn into a crostini —goat cheese on bottom, diced roasted pears, cranberries or blueberries, on top of kale
20 minutes to perfection…
Here is how it is done:
- Set your oven to 375 degrees, cut your pears in half and core them. Spray a light “pssh” of oil and a sprinkle of sugar. Roast for 20 minutes.
- While the Pears are roasting, fry some bacon. I love bacon so I add several strips. Judge me if you need to.
- Cut up your kale, massage the leaves (learn how to here) to lessen the toughness.
- Add diced Pecans, and some Goat Cheese (in this case I used Blueberry Vanilla Goat Cheese, but any type of Goat Cheese will work.
- Make the Dressing: In a 4 cup liquid measuring cup add vegetable oil, rice vinegar, water, Dijon, honey lemon, and a squeeze of lemon. Add sugar if necessary, but the tenderness of this dressing pairs so well with all the flavors.
- Assemble, and done!!
What you can leave out or switch out:
- Pecans for almonds (preferably sliced)
- Blueberry Vanilla Goat cheese (I was lucky to even find this!) for anything that’s a light cheese like just Regular Goat Cheese or Boursin is also a good medium ground. There are so many flavors happening that you don’t want to distract with a sharp or sour cheese
- In the dressing if you don’t have Dijon —just leave it out, also with a lemon, if you don’t have any—can be optional. Always better the more you have.
- no bacon? Add pancetta or prosciutto, yum!
Roasted Pear and Bacon Kale Salad with a Honey VinaigretteCourse: Dinner, Recipes, UncategorizedCuisine: lunch, party, charcuterie
1 Red Pear
2 slices Bacon
Blueberry Vanilla Goat Cheese (or any Goat cheese available)
1 handful or Pecans
Pam (vegetable) oil spray
2 -3 leaves Kale
- Honey Vinaigrette
1 cup Rice Vinegar
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
2 cups Water
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 tbsp Honey
1/2 of a lemon, squeezed
pinch of salt
For the Kale Salad
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees
- Cut your pear in half, core the middle. Cover the baking sheet with parchment paper, and spray the pear with Pam.
- Lay out Bacon on baking sheet as well. Cook the pear and the bacon on the same sheet, and check after 10-15 minutes. The bacon will need to be flipped. Cook for total 20-25 minutes or until pear is soft and bacon is crispy.
- While the bacon and pears are roasting, cut up Kale. Take out the tough ribs, then spray with oil and massage to get the toughness out.
- Chop pecans and slivers of goat cheese- then add to salad. Check the oven, the pears should be soft and delicate and the bacon just crisp enough.
- Combine Salad together. Drizzle honey over salad, and make the dressing below:
- Honey Vinaigrette Dressing
- With a 4 cup liquid measuring cup, bowl, or pint mason jar combine vinegar, oil, water, Dijon, honey, lemon, and salt.
- Mix well and enjoy on many yummy salads.
- see blog for any ingredient trade -outs 🙂
This Salad is good for any party, occasion, or simply for lunch.
‘Till next time!😘
Let me know if you made this and how you love it 👇. What’s new with you? Let’s have lunch together ❤️.